SORGHUM PRODUCTION MANAGER
Entreprise: Papyrus, S.A.
Type de contrat de travail:
Localisation: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Date d'embauche: 15 mai 2017
Publiée le: Apr 24, 2017
SORGHUM PRODUCTION MANAGER at Papyrus, S.A.
Description du poste:
Papyrus S.A. seeks a Sorghum Production Manager (SPM) for its SMASH program.
Working under the direct supervision of the SMASH Project Director, the SPM will coordinate the activities of technical field agents, extension and buying staff and orient the team toward a commercial sorghum production approach that can be scaled down and transferred to BRANA at project close. Please note that sorghum production fields in Haiti range from 5 acres (smallholder average plot size) to 450 acres (maximum for medium holders).
The SPM will perform the following indicative tasks:
• Plan and manage sorghum production programs for small and medium farmers
• Advise on required equipment needs and maintenance program
• Plan and manage pest control programs in the context of sorghum
• Source and advise on suitable sorghum variety seeds for Haiti
• Draft and start implementing a national sorghum production strategy that can be handed over to BRANA
• Plan, supervise and manage all agricultural activities on small production farms
• Plan and manage seed production, selection and timely availability
• Draft a seed production / storage and distribution strategy
• Oversee and manage crop quality control
• Draft necessary (technical) reports and recommendations on a regular, minimum monthly basis
• Train and supervise a team of local agronomists in larger scale sorghum production
• Bachelor’s degree in agronomy and/or at least three years’ experience working in crop production. Specific knowledge of sorghum is a plus.
• Knowledge about and experience with sugarcane aphid is an advantage in conducting the tasks.
• Technical, mechanical skills and equipment know-how a plus
• More hands on and in the field type profile, less desk work
• French and/or Creole a plus, not a must
• Experience working with/ in grain elevators a plus
• Excellent inter-personal skills
A propos de Papyrus, S.A.
Papyrus S.A. is a private, woman-owned, for-profit, limited liability management company, registered in Haiti since 2007, with two generations of development experience and a mission to link local and international aspirations. Decisions are made in country, meaning that they are locally informed, fully cognizant of the Haitian context, and expedient, thereby ensuring that local projects move forward quickly, efficiently, and with lasting results. Papyrus has substantive experience providing surveys and market research, expertise in financial and administrative analysis of both for-profit and non-profit entities, a practiced hand in managing donor funds and local development activities, and a broad network of key informants and clients across numerous sectors. Its leadership and highly-seasoned staff can provide a good overview of Haiti and a clear understanding of what will work.
The goal of the Smallholder Alliance for Sorghum in Haiti (SMASH) program is to source high-quality locally-grown sorghum for the production of the Brasserie Nationale d’Haïti (BRANA S.A., a subsidiary of Heineken). The Strategic Objectives of the SMASH program are: 1) to double the sorghum yield of smallholder farmers; 2) to increase farmer income from growing sorghum by 75%; and 3) to create an economical, stable, and durable supply chain of local sorghum for commercial buyers.
This is being accomplished through testing and introducing new sorghum varieties; improving agricultural production, storage, and transport practices; organizing and modernizing the supply chain; decreasing losses, mitigating risks, and reducing cultivation and financing costs; and enhancing sales volumes and profit margins.
Begun in July 2013, this innovative and evolving private-public partnership leverages the comparative advantages of a national brewery, BRANA; Papyrus S.A., a local private management firm engaged as project implementer; and two major international donors, the U.S. Agency for International Development and the Inter-American Development Bank.
Papyrus S.A. maintains a work environment that stimulates creativity, initiative, and open communication among staff in an informal non-bureaucratic setting. There is a premium placed on those who assume leadership, quickly overcome problems, facilitate actions, promote innovative ideas working in teams, produce results, develop positive and constructive relations with donors, and facilitate project achievements.
Papyrus provides a stimulating work environment and competitive compensation based on salary history.
- Grants Manager | Management-Gestion
- Mobile Technology Officer | Management-Gestion
- Human and Institutional Capacity Development (HICD) Expert | Management-Gestion