Construction Project Manager
Entreprise: CFET S.A.
Type de contrat de travail:
Localisation: Petion-Ville, Haiti
Date d'embauche: 3 mars 2015
Publiée le: Jan 19, 2015
Construction Project Manager at CFET S.A.
Description du poste:
The Construction Project Manager manages the organization’s Asset Development Program. This program aims to construct four new buildings for the organization and is comprised of several subcomponents: the conduct of due diligence related to adequate site preparation (including ensuring the proper land tenure documentation), the development of schematic architectural design, the elaboration of architectural/engineering construction design documents, and the management and monitoring of the final construction.
The Construction Project Manager will ensure that the buildings conform to organization’s needs and budgetary and programmatic constraints. As this program will be partner- and contractor-implemented, it is critical that the Construction Project Manager can effectively manage contractors and ensure construction quality. The Construction Project Manager will additionally provide technical assistance on infrastructure and disaster mitigation construction activities of the organization’s ongoing programs.
The Construction Project Manager promotes good practices and ensures that programs are implemented in accordance with international and Haitian construction standards. As part of the network, s/he will actively support and build the technical capacity of the organization’s staff and other partners.
The position will report to the Deputy Country Representative – Programs, and will work closely with the Technical Coordination Team and other Program Managers. The position may require up to 40% travel within Haiti.
This is a full time position for a minimum of 366 days with the possibility of extension.
Specific Duties and Accountabilities
The Construction Project Manager will, among other tasks and responsibilities:
• Maintain a strong working and informal relationship with the organization regarding the Asset Development Program.
• Effectively take into account the organization’s needs, goals and vision.
• Develop effective strategies for subcontracting design services and construction works, as well as successfully conducting pre-qualification analysis of contractors and partners.
• Effectively anticipate challenges related to ensuring safe site preparation (land tenure documentation, potential natural and man-made hazards on the site, etc.).
• Effectively assess time, cost, implementation method, technical quality, monitoring plan, feasibility and contextual appropriateness claims of proposals and bids made by prospective partners, contractors or consultants; provide recommendations to the Deputy Country Representative - Programs and Program Managers as necessary.
• Contribute technically to tasks assigned by senior management; lead the preparation of RFAs, RFPs, Invitations to Bid (ITBs), and RFQs towards the recruitment of partners, consultants and contractors for construction projects.
• Oversee compliance of partners and contractors with contract agreements and create special types of contract agreements for various consultancy services as necessary for his/her Program or as requested by other Program Managers.
• Develop project controls in preparation of short-term construction schedules; develop erection plans sequencing, supervise contractors, other consultants and partners as necessary.
• Ensure that construction documents and physical construction comply with International Building Codes and relevant Guidelines and Construction Codes applicable in Haiti, ensuring that the highest standard will apply on each case.
• Provide technical and capacity building support including supervision and mentoring of construction staff in planning, management and implementation of construction projects/programs.
• Create a set of standards, tools and procedures for effective technical monitoring and control of construction projects including, but not limited to, the following;
i) Certificates of reception of construction materials, and equipment to check their quality and condition and ensure that they meet specifications;
ii) Daily Site Construction Reports to be used by site supervisors;
iii) Certificates of Substantial Completion to generate right to payment (for work performed by organization’s contractors);
iv) Forecast of Works and Cash-flow;
v) Certificates of final completion and start of defect liability period.
• Develop construction policies including Health and Safety of workers for the Haiti Delegation and assure contractor conformance with safety requirements.
• Document and promote good practices, knowledge management and institutional learning around better rebuilding and construction approaches; and incorporate lessons learned, best practices and technical innovation in plans and project designs.
• Maintain strong working relationship with relevant Government of Haiti (GoH) agencies, (e.g. MTPTC, mayor’s offices) and partners.
• Develop construction specific strategies in alignment with Government of Haiti (GoH) and the organization’s strategies, principles, goals and objectives.
• Ensure organization’s construction development projects and programs are in alignment with humanitarian industry standards, organization guidelines and policies.
• Conduct regular field visits to construction projects implemented by organization or partners, according to the technical monitoring plan in coordination with Program Managers and Partnership Coordinator, to monitor effective implementation of projects according to approved plans and budgets, ensure construction quality, provide advice as necessary;
• Provide feedback to organization’s senior management through visit reports, ensuring that relevant output, outcome and process indicators on quality monitoring and quality assurance are captured and reported on.
• Closely monitor and communicate technical program performance; track technical issues that could adversely impact programming in Haiti and advise Senior Leadership of such.
• Contribute technically in the review of program reports with project teams.
• Support in the successful exit strategy and/or handover of sector-specific activities.
• Support in the development of program reviews, technical management response to program reviews and evaluations.
• Contribute in the production of materials such as presentations, annual reports, training materials, positions papers, proposals, etc. relevant to construction.
• Foster positive, collaborative, integrated and effective work relations with internal as well as external stakeholders.
• Provide project management support and oversight when required.
• Participate in the hiring of technical staff.
• Actively build the technical capacity of staff, volunteers and partners.
• Communicate mission, purpose, strategic goals and program objectives among project staff (including incoming staff) to create mutual understanding and coherence.
• Actively participate in cross-departmental and cross-regional initiatives which directly relate to the organization and/or broader ISD strategies.
• In the event of an emergency, provide technical support to the response lead.
• Backstop for other team members when required.
• Provide weekly progress reports to Deputy Country Representative - Programs.
• MA/MS in Civil Engineering, Architecture or related field required.
• Minimum of five years related experience and progressive management responsibilities and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Demonstrated ability to manage contractors, subcontractors, engineers, construction teams, as well as partners and consultants.
• Demonstrated work experience in all phases of the construction project cycle (e.g. conceptualization, project planning/sequencing, tendering, supervision, etc.).
• Working experience in construction supervision in contexts with poor construction norms and standards. Previous construction supervision in Haiti desirable.
• Demonstrated ability to mentor, manage and lead a team of engineers to achieve common objectives, required.
• Working experience with International Building Codes, seismic resistant design and detailing, and familiarity with the Haitian National Building Code (CNBH).
• Effective understanding and prior use of FIDIC contracting for engineering works and services.
• Working experience with CAD, critical path planning (or alike), and project management, project scheduling, and cost estimating software in a professional capacity required.
• Previous work experience in Haiti is desirable.
• Demonstrated ability to adapt and work effectively in dynamic and demanding operational environment.
• Familiarity with Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement highly desirable
• Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively and in a collegial fashion with people from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
• Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and achieve results through collaboration.
• Computer proficiency, especially in MS Office, required.
• Excellent written/verbal communication skills in English and French or Haitian Creole is essential.
This is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
A propos de CFET S.A.
CFET S.A. is private Human Resource and Development firm established in Haiti since October 1988, and has a solid experience in designing and implementing planned recruitment strategies, customized training, curriculum and teaching materials development.
CFET S.A.’s mission is to contribute to the improvement of worker’s performance and to facilitate access to a talent pool whose skills and character responds to employers’ needs and codes of ethics. We operate in a world in constant change, characterized by the need to harmonize cultural diversity and universality of skills and the need to prioritize skilled over cheap workforce.